Many people are plagued by sciatica, particularly from sitting a lot, hours typing on the computer or phone, and from driving. In addition, people often work out with repetitive exercises, such as squats or HIT, exercising out of alignment, and overtightening the muscles. When this happens without stretching, this causes the piriformas muscle to tighten around the sciatic nerve which is extremely painful.
ROLLOLOGY™ is a cutting edge discipline that starts with the core using a Rollology™ roller, which works together by stretching and strengthening the abdominals to properly align and support the body for optimal posture. Our exercises are done in neutral spine with the Rollology foam roller with precise cueing and speed so that each client is accurately performing each exercise to reduce risk of injury and ensure remarkable results.
According to Alyson Limehouse, the founder of Rollology, the correct workout combined with the right stretch will relieve sciatica pain. With the “Tailor stretch,” we utilize the Rollology roller to relieve pain. The Tailor stretch is a safe exercise that may be a little unpleasant and tender at first, but if done correctly, it will ease sciatic discomfort. Shoulder stability, core rotation, core/oblique strengthening, and hip opening are all covered.
Please watch the video below on how to do Tailor stretch with the Rollology Roller. It requires a Rollology roller and yoga mat.
- Lie down with the roller under the knees, crossways.
- Bridge up and place the roller beneath the hip bone.
- Bring the legs up one by one, as if they were a table top.
- Place the left ankle on the right thigh, feet flexed.
- Rotate to the right by wrapping the muscles around the spine.
- Move from left to right while keeping the back and shoulders straight.
- Switch legs and repeat the steps.
Allowing sciatica to keep you from enjoying your best life is not an option!